Sunday, February 17, 2008

Notebook Audio

My notebook audio (Intel HDA) is terrible. Using jackd, I constantly get xruns, and I cannot change any parameters to try and alleviate the problem.

So, I bought an external USB audio device, plugged it in, and it just worked. No more xruns. Jackd no longer complains, and I have 5ms latency. Amazing. Even a cheap ($5) USB device performed better than the internal audio device in my laptop. It's an XPS M1330 by the way.

To celebrate I bought a pair of Edirol MA-15 Monitor speakers, which are a pleasure to listen to. Now I can look forward to getting to grips with Pure Data, or maybe Galan, which looks quite interesting.


illume said...


I really like cheap USB sound cards too :)

Here's where I've linked up 6 of them off a USB hub:

So you can hook up heaps of USB sound cards... you can even make them into one virtual sound card with alsa, and also with pulse.

Ray G said...

Where can I get a $5 USB audio device? What make/model is it?

DEADC0DE said...

maybe it's not the notebook audio that's bad, but the linux driver implementation for that notebook audio...

Popular Posts