Monday, August 20, 2007

Check out Pyglet!

Pyglet is a cross-platform windowing and multimedia library for Python. If you've been using pygame all your life (like me), you need check it out.

Pyglet uses OpenGL. It makes blitting a 2D image as simple as
image.blit(x,y)
The API is exceptionally clean, IMO, and is accompanied by a programming guide and an API reference.

It also allows you to code for multi-head setups, and provides positional audio via OpenAL. Awesome! And best of all... there is no building required! It's 100% Pure Python.

Pyglet is still in alpha phase, so don't expect everything to work perfectly. Having said that... it works well enough for me. I'm converted.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Thanks for pointing this out!

I'm really impressed with the programming guide. An alpha release that manages to provide kick ass documention? Well done.

I've wanted to write a MAME front-end in Python and this looks very promising.

Popular Posts